Project title: Sustainable regional development of Bjelasica, Komovi and Prokletije Region
Donor: Austrian Development Agency
Cost of the project: 1,750,000.00 €
Amount contributed by donor: 1,500,000.00 €
Implementation period: From 01.12.2009 to 15.09.2013
Description of the project: Objective of the action has been sustainable development of Bjelasica, Komovi and Prokletije region. Activities implemented are related to following components:
1. Mountain tourism – marking and signalization for top biking trail 3, organization of two familiarization trips for international tour operators in the region, promotional material for the region presented at Adventure World Summit in Scotland, set up of fly-fishing zones in the region, promotion of fly-fishing, development of promotional materials for regional biking trails, support to Mountain Rescue Service, set up and promotional materials for local biking trails in Plav and Andrijevica.
2. Cultural tourism – creation of cultural heritage routes in 6 municipalities in the region, arrangement of historical area where the first school was located in Mojkovac, preparation of promotional material and info boards and brochures for cultural routes, assistance to Polimski Museum in Berane with touch-screen, rehabilitation of exhibition area, promotional materials, adaptation of Cultural Center Kolasin.
3. Support to national parks – rehabilitation of boathouse and terrace in NP Biogradska Gora, preparation of management plan NP BG, arrangement of promotional corner for new NP Prokletije in Visitors Center Vranjina, construction of visitors center Prokletije, capacity building of rangers in NP Prokletije, set up of office space for NP Prokletije, set up of two entry points in NP Prokletije.
4. Agro tourism – evaluation and selection of highest potential villages for agro tourism, preparation of strategy for development of agro tourism, selection of highest potential households, assistance to households in obtaining funds for rehabilitation.
5. Community development – implementation of various projects prioritized by local communities, such as: technical documentation for Kolasin recreational area, feasibility study for biomass heating in Kolasin, series of events in Berane for anniversary related to 150 years since founding of Berane, Mojkovac rehabilitation of mountain hut Ckara and construction of sidewalk in Polja, Bijelo Polje reconstruction of playground, environment protection and clean up activity, youth camp, speleological cadastre for Bijelo Polje, dairy market rehabilitation, in Andrijevica reconstruction of two rural bridges and contribution to larger project of road rehabilitation from Zabrdje to Gradisnica as well as support to organic producers in Konjuhe, in Plav rehabilitation of school playgrounds, support to fly-fishing club, delivery of souvenir equipment, equipment for high scool.
6. Regional development – support to national parks, businesses, NGOs, local governments in preparation of project proposals for other donors, hands-on support and coaching of local governments in developing applications for EU and USAID calls for proposals resulting in 4 milion euros worth of projects approved, support to business sector, socio-economical survey conducted to evaluate business climate, support to agriculture producers in marketing and branding of their products, linking local traditional and organic products with main tourism markets, tourist guides trainings, economic empowerment of women with small grants for business start-ups in Kolasin and Mojkovac, websites for five tourism organizations in the region.
PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE PROJECT
- TT brochures (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- TO websites (TO Andrijevica, TO Berane, TO Bijelo Polje, TO Kolašin, TO Plav)
- Cultural routes
- The Best Our Mountains Have To Offer – brochure and video
- Andrijevica and Plav biking trails brochures